|St. Giles Weekly Newsletter
||November 2, 2017
Love Life Week
Oct. 29 - Nov. 4
Sunday, Oct. 29:
Launch: Education, Awareness & Committment
Thursday, Nov. 2:
Church Unites in Prayer & Fasting
Saturday, Nov. 4:
Church Prayer Walks at Abortion Clinic
9:00 am - 11:00 am
1004 Palmer Plaza Lane, Charlotte 28211
**Carpooling is encouraged **
Rain or Shine
- Our prayer walk is taking place outdoors so please check the weather and come prepared. We recommend bringing a bottle of water.
Love Life T Shirt:
If you have a Love Life T-shirt we encourage you to wear it.
We will use "Amp Me" to communicate during our prayer walk. Please download the app ahead of time by clicking
*There will be no restroom facilities available onsite so please use one prior to the walk.
LOVE LIFE CHARLOTTE IS UNITING AND MOBILIZING THE CHURCH TO CREATE A CULTURE OF LOVE AND LIFE THAT WILL BRING AN END
TO ABORTION IN CHARLOTTE
Love Life Charlotte Events
- Love Life Adoption Week: Oct. 29-Nov. 4
- Prayer Walk on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 9-11am
- Save the Date: Week 40 Celebrate Life Event on Dec. 2nd.
World Outreach Potluck
Come to the gym after church on Sunday, November 5th, for good food, fellowship, and to hear what God is doing in missions outreach through our own St. Giles members and how you can be a part! Please bring a dish large enough for yourself plus 5 people.
If you are coming, please RSVP to Sandy Stumpf at email@example.com
Operation Christmas Child
We are doing Operation Christmas Child again this year! The outr
each committee plans to launch on Nov. 5th with
collection running until Nov 19th! OCC boxes will be available to pick up on Nov. 5th.
Room in the Inn
Mark your calendars: Dec. 14 & 15, Jan. 11 & 12, Feb. 8 & 9, March 8 & 9.
Feeding The Hungry
St. Giles Outreach Ministry has recently become involved with the Homeless Resource Center (HRC), and is now providing dinner to 75-150 hungry people the 3rd Friday of each month in uptown Charlotte. We are looking to connect with anyone you know who would be willing to donate food, or provide food at their cost. If you can provide a link to a restaurant owner or caterer (or someone who loves to cook), we need your help! Please contact Judith Berbiglia for details #980-219-7728 or
St. Giles Loaves & Fishes pantry is in need of a few volunteers on
Wednesday of each week. If you can help, contact Jennifer Basquin at 704-906-3058 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday News & Events
Worship Service 10:30 am
- Volunteer Schedule for Worship, Ushers & Media, click here: Worship & Media
Adult Sunday School at 9:30 am:
Teacher: Larry Gregory
Location: Fellowship Hall: Large Classroom
Creation Kids Sunday School at 9:30 am
- Ages: Infants - 2 years: Childcare is provided in the Toddler Classroom for these ages so parents may be free to attend their adult Sunday School classes.
- Ages: 3 - Kindergarten: Mrs. Mary Beth Berger prepares each Sunday for an engaging look into the goodness and greatness of God as seen in the lessons of the New Testament...of course, there is always ample time for a fun game or two!
King's Kids Sunday School at 9:30 am
- Ages: 1st & 2nd Graders: Mr. & Mrs. Ujlaky lead their students to draw closer the Lord using the Children Desiring God curriculum, "Jesus, What a Savior!". This class is inviting and welcoming...a perfect place for younger King's Kids to enjoy a fun, small group learning environment.
- Ages: 3rd - 5th Graders: Mr. & Mrs. Fisher take their students on a trek through the Bible to find clues that will in the end help them solve the mystery of "God's Big Story"! As always, the class will be full of challenges, digging deeper into God's Word, memorizing Scripture and lots of fun hands-on experiences to show kids how to serve and help others.
Youth Sunday School at 9:30 am
- 6th - 12th Graders: High School and Middle School Sunday school classes will remain combined through September 24. Beginning on October 1, the middle school students will begin an extended look at Jesus' life, teachings, and miracles. The high school students will spend several weeks studying the fascinating, weird, and (perhaps surprisingly) encouraging book of Revelation!
Sunday evening at 5:30 pm in the Sanctuary
Join us for a sweet time of worship, intercession and fellowship.
Sunday Night Nurturing Moms
Nov. 12th: All moms are invited to the group "Nurturing Moms" led by Helen Atwood. Helen invites you to be a part of this loving community of women as they lean into the high calling of motherhood. This group meets on the 2nd Sunday of each month at
5:45 - 7:30 pm. Location: Fellowship Hall.
King's Kids 2nd Sunday Nights (Kids2S) meets the 2nd Sunday each month at 5:30 - 7:30 pm in the King's Kids Room! Calling all 1st - 5th graders! Next Meeting on Nov. 12th!
Encounter Youth at 5:15 - 7:30 pm
All 6th - 12th graders will not want to miss out on the fun each Sunday night!
This Fall, we will begin a new teaching series called "Rooted" where we will study the 13 letters of Paul to the early church. In Mark 4 and Matthew 13, Jesus spoke about the seed that was scattered on rocky ground and sprang up quickly, but soon withered due to the shallowness of its roots in the soil. Contrary to this, Paul instructs believers to be "rooted and firmly established" in their faith. Throughout the semester, we will focus on different teachings from these letters which will, Lord willing, help us be just that.
Oct. 18 - Nov. 15
Dinner 5:30 pm
Classes 6:30 pm
IGNITE is our traditional Wednesday night program, including dinner and ministry for all ages. IGNITE is a chance for the whole church to come together in mini- semesters throughout the year. It's a time to hang out together, as well as get deeper into God's Word.
Several times throughout the year we get together as a church and enjoy a catered meal at 5:30 pm and then have classes and programs for all ages at 6:30 pm.
** Everyone who attends the meal will need to RSVP in advance by making a note on the Connections Tab on the bulletin on Nov. 5th or replying to the email reminder which will be sent on Oct. 30th **
At his request the Session has received Jeff Barhite's resignation as elder at St. Giles. Jeff remains on the active membership role of St. Giles.
Did you know there is a place where prophetic words, visions and dreams within our church body are recorded? Please visit the Prophetic Stream to read the latest word from Rev. Percy Burns. Click here:
Did you know that there are groups at St. Giles that meet monthly. If you are interested in getting plugged into a group with folks similar in age and stage of life or folks with a common interest, check out this list of Connection Groups: Click Here:
St. Giles Connection Groups
All moms are invited to the group "Nurturing Moms" led by Helen Atwood. Helen invites you to be a part of this loving community of women as they lean into the high calling of motherhood. From Helen, "
I think we will all love the book we will be unpacking! Parenting...Gospel Principles by Paul David Tripp, is both theological and practical, simple yet profound...
Feel free to invite other moms who might be interested!!" If you need childcare, please RSVP to Helen at email@example.com.
This group meets at St. Giles in the fellowship hall at these two times each month:
- First Friday of each month 10am - 12: Next Meeting: Nov. 3rd
- 2nd Sunday night of each month 5:45 - 7:30 pm: Next Meeting on Sunday, Nov. 12th.
Montclaire Neighborhood Playgroup
Each Thursday from 10:30 am - 12:30, moms and their children gather at St. Giles in the gym or playground for a time of fellowship, fun and lunch. Take a look at these sweet kiddos!!
Questions? Contact Lydia Alexander firstname.lastname@example.org
ST GILES HOMESCHOOL CO-OP
For Elementary Age Children
St Giles homeschool moms would like to invite you to our new co-op! We will participate in monthly field trips as well as monthly educational activities at our church. Each month a different family will sign up to organize the field trip and the educational lesson at St Giles. This will be a low cost, low stress time of education, fellowship and lunch! Younger siblings are welcome. However, a nursery will
not be provided. For more information contact: Sherry Borders @ 704-995-3110 or email@example.com.
2ND and 4TH Friday of each month at
9:30 TO 12:00
2ND Friday - Field Trip
4TH Friday - St Giles Gym
Winds of Worship
Winds of Worship invites you to our next Equipping Session on
Tuesday, November 7th at St. Giles EPC from 7-9pm.
Join us for a night of worship and teaching as we welcome Buffy Wimmer, LPC. Come and be encouraged as Buffy shares testimony from her life and the secret to having joy in the midst of trials.
All women welcome!
Register on Sunday! See Charles Wimmer at the sign up this Sunday and reserve your spot! Checks and debit/ credit payments will be available. For more info, pick up a flier on Sunday.
Dates: November 10-12, 2017
Location: Montreat Conference Center
Speaker: Dr. Ken Boa
Worship Leader: Lyle Helmick
Cost: $150 (includes meals and lodging)
Kids & Youth
Creation & King's Kids:
Nov. 8th Ignite...The Table continues! Family time begins around the table starting at 5:15 - 6:15 pm, followed by classes for all ages! Here's what we are dishing up for the kids 6:30 - 7:30 pm:
Infants - 2's: Loving volunteers, Mary LaRiviere & Becky Ujlaky, will watch over these little ones in the Toddler/Walker Class.
3's & 4's: Derek & Tiffany Sheffield will teach the preschoolers a New Testament Bible stories & craft.
K - 5
grade: Choir for boys & girls led by Mr. David in preparation for our Christmas program, "Sing a Song of Christmas", scheduled for Sunday, December 10
Girls Dance Ministry will begins and will be led by Caroline Pickens in the sanctuary. Girls will also be preparing for the Christmas program.
All girls must sign up ahead of time
. Contact Caroline at
November 5 & 12
- Creation Kids Volunteer Appreciation & Training - The Creation Kids Leadership Team (Caroline Pickens, Heather Jenkins, Nicole Lambert, Lauren Smith & Michelle Watkins) is asking all volunteers of Infants - K nurseries and classrooms to sign up for a special time of appreciation and training during Sunday School (9:30 am). You pick the date that works best for you! We will plan to meet in "The Gathering Place" (Gym foyer classroom). Please RSVP to
November 12th - King's Kids 2nd Sunday Night- We will meet on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 5:30 - 7:30 pm for a fun evening centered around Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for as we look forward to an evening of counting...counting all kinds of things from candy corn to turkey feathers and of course, counting our blessings! (For Kids K - 5
th Gr. - Moms are invited to Nurturing Moms with Helen Atwood in the Fellowship Hall!)
Thank you St. Giles for Letting His Light Shine on Oct. 31
st! We had a wonderful turnout of Madison Park, Montclaire & Starmount neighbors who stopped by for a free hot dog (Ward Sheffield & Greg Barnes cooked 140), S'mores, giant candy bars & treat bags this past Tuesday night. The donations of fruit candy and juice boxes were a hit and greatly appreciated. A special thank you to all the volunteers who came and served and loved. "
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matt. 5:16
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matt. 5:16
6th - 12th Grade
- Sunday School: The middle school students are studying the life and ministry of Christ in the Gospels, and the high school students study the book of Revelation.
- Encounter: We are back to our normal meeting time at 5:15 until 7:30 this Sunday! Join us as we continue our series on being "Rooted" in Christ. What did it look like to be a Christian in the early church? Specifically, what did Paul think the first generation of Christians needed to know in order to walk with Christ well as they waited for His return? Many of these same lessons still hold value to us, if we take the time to look for and understand them! We've already covered lessons from Galatians, Ephesians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, and Philemon. Join us this Sunday as we continue our study!
- Ignite: Swept Away (worship and prayer) is taking place every Wednesday during our church's Wednesday night service time. Join us starting at 5:15 for dinner in the gym with worship and prayer following from 6:30-7:30.
Current Sermon Series: Mark's Gospel
If you were to put it into a song, the Gospel of Mark wouldn't be "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". Instead, it would be much closer to Beethoven or the theme from Batman. Intense, complex, driving, occasionally foreboding, sometimes incredibly joyful. Occasionally restful, more often fast paced and clearly building towards something. When you think about it, isn't it obvious that Mark's Gospel is not unlike the times we live in or the life we experience. Few of us have a "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" kind of life. We live in intense times which are filled with conflict. Joy is nearby and then again so is evil. It's more Beethoven than a nursery rhyme.
How good to know that Jesus didn't live a "nursery song" kind of existence. Rather, he lived a life and in a time which we can relate to. Pharisees and friends, demons and angels, Pontius Pilate and Nicodemus . . . Jesus was surrounded by conflicting forces and turbulent times. Walking through Mark chapter by chapter, week by week, we'll look at Jesus and how he lived the Kingdom in times which were often stressful. How did we walk in peace, power, and victory when the culture was amped up with conflict and darkness kept trying to creep in? How did he live joyfully, purposefully, and intimately with the Father in imperfect times? How did God's power constantly manifest itself through Him and how can we share in that? Aren't those questions we have?
So, welcome to Mark's Gospel. Through the Fall months Nate will be walking us week by week through the everyday and yet extraordinary life of the Son of God. Welcome to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony rather than "Twinkle, Twinkle".
'Giles List is THE PLACE for bulletin board type of things... stuff for free, stuff for sale, stuff people need, job opportunities & More!
- Let us know if you have things to sell or give away!
Online Church Directory
Did you know you can access our church membership directory online on the St. Giles website? For security, this directory is password protected. For instructions and to receive the "access key", email firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Giles Staff
We are here to serve you! To help you - here is a brief description of the staff:
Bob Lee: Receptionist, financial assistant email@example.com
Meg Bowden: Nate's assistant, facilities management, newsletter, bulletin, prayer requests:
Gerry Edwards: Interim Executive Administrator, organizational and ministry oversight, and building and grounds management,